1. Please mobilize the toes/fingers in the plaster cast.
2. Keep the limb with plaster cast elevated ( for eg: Lower limb or leg to be elevated on a pillow, for upper extremity: use a arm pouch sling).
3. Watch for any swelling of toes/fingers, discoloration or tightness of plaster cast.
4. Please let the plaster cast dry, do not cover it immediately.
5. Do not wet the cast: cover it during a shower or wear a plaster shoe( if allowed) while moving around.
6. Use a proper size diaper for your child so as to avoid wetting of plaster.
7. Side-turning and Back care in case of a Hip Spica cast.
1. Do not break the plaster or cut it or remove the cast padding
2. Do not insert objects(pencils, chopsticks, hair clips, combs) in the plaster cast for itching or adjusting it.
3. Do not use hairdryers to dry the plaster cast
4. Do not put any talcum powder or deodorant in the plaster cast
5. Do not walk on the plaster if not advised by your doctor.
Red Flags: Any of these signs, please consult your treating doctor immediately.
1. Excessive pain in the plaster, not responding to pain killers.
2. Swelling of toes/fingers, discoloration, tightness.
3. Breaking, cracks or softening of plaster cast.
4. Edges of plaster hurting or causing a sore
5. Any bad odour from the plaster.